Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis

The kids and I had a joyful reunion on July 31st, and the first thing on the agenda was a trip to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.


Ryan could not contain his enthusiasm and started to run - the girls soon followed.


This picture I took begs the question, "how often have I ended up in somebody else's random blog post?" I took the picture because of the Deloitte building. Jerry, you should transfer, then Ryan would tell me he wants to come live with YOU whenever he is angry at me.


The egg-shaped capsules we went up in. I now know that none of my kids are either claustrophobic or afraid of heights - at least not yet. Kate does look anxious, but she sat on my lap during the actual journey (because they fit two more adults in here on our actual trip up the Arch).
This is at the top - the windows are sort of small, and no matter what side you go up, the tour guides are constantly urging you to go "all the way to the other side." Seriously, the tour guide on the north side and the tour guide on the south side both told me it would be less crowded on the other side. They both lied.
Ryan was happy though.
The sun was glaring on the west side, so I couldn't get many good pictures, but the river side was amazing - I loved the shadows the buildings cast on the water. Those two tall narrow lines are the Arch.





All in all, a great side trip. Ryan still liked the Sears Tower better, but Gateway Arch comes in a close second, at least until we hit the Eiffel Tower or the Burj Khalifa.

As a side note, on my way out to KY, somewhere in Colorado, I saw this double rainbow. I think I will always laugh whenever I see a double rainbow now because of a video that recently went viral over the internet of some guy tripping (possibly literally) over a double rainbow.


3 comments:

Joel and Sara said...

HA. I can't ever look at a double rainbow again without thinking that!

Gemie said...

What fun! Wonder if there was a double pot of gold! It was so fun having them come down here for a visit. Can't wait to see the pictures from that trip!

Anonymous said...

Its starting to even look like a triple rainbow!