So I thought of some favorite memories that I have associated with my dad. I was recently reminded of one. In our house growing up, there was an intercom system. What this meant was that at around 7:30 on Saturday morning we all woke up to the joyous sounds of...The Beach Boys! and other oldies. See Dad's philosophy was that you hurry up and get your chores done early so that you could go play! And I don't know why I didn't learn after so many years of this routine, but I always forgot to turn the intercom volume down in my room on Friday night. We could however, often count on a hot Saturday morning breakfast. My siblings and I also have fond memories of The Beach Boys and Neil Diamond on road trips. I don't think that any one of us can ever hear "Coming to America" without thinking VACATION! My dad got us all a Beach Boys and Neil Diamond cd for Christmas a few years back, in honor of those memories.
I have also always loved that my dad loves to sing hymns. When he was Bishop, my family always sat in the back row (obviously - one parent to 8 children is NOT a good ratio for sacrament meeting) and my sisters and I would love to try to pinpoint dad's voice all the way from the back. Occasionally we caught his eye during the hymns and we all got big smiles! I realize now that my dad has always had a special love for hymns, and that singing and listening to these songs are one way he can praise and feel close to our Savior.
I love you dad! Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:
What a wonderful gift. Memories is one of life's greatest treasures and you have given many precious ones to me. Thank you for reminding me of these memories. I have always been proud to be your father. I admire your courage to do what is right in both easy and the most difficult of times. I love you fiercely. Dad
"Memories, all alone it the moonlight..." I remember that vacation, I had so much fun! (after the sunburn went away, or rather, after the Tylenol kicked in...)
Post a Comment