Saturday, June 19, 2010

God Only Created a Certain Number of Perfect Heads...the Rest He Covered with Hair.

Also known as: The Happy Father's Day Post!

Disclaimer: This is based on my memory, if I have gotten anything wrong, or anybody has anything to add, please feel free to correct me or enhance!

The kids and I have been on numerous hikes this spring, and, as usual, I have gained a whole new perspective on my parents - particularly my Dad, who did not hesitate (at least outwardly) to take eight kids on sometimes strenuous hikes all over the United States.

The first hike I ever remember going on with Dad was to Mount Mitchell in North Carolina. Camie and I were the willing participants on this trip, I think I was around 6 or 7. Camie and I both have fond memories of this trip, which included Frosties from Wendy's, Snickers bars (Dad's candy bar of choice at the time, and still on of his favorites, I know) and hiking Mt. Mitchell. I particularly remember one rock formation that my dad told us was the Wicked Witch of the West's grave. Camie and I both remember that pretty vividly.

Some other hiking trips: I can't count the number of times we have hiked around in Arches National Park - to Delicate Arch, Landscape Arch, etc. We have also hiked in Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Carlsbad Caverns, Zion's National Park, and Hawaii, to name our major excursions.

Dad had certain techniques to help us up the mountain:
1. Riding on his shoulders - usually reserved for the youngest kid in the expedition.
2. Piggy-back rides
3. Grabbing unto his belt and getting a "power boost" up the toughest parts of the hike.
4. Pulling us up - he often balanced a kid with each hand - pulled one kid up, then the other (sometimes this was not an option - Camie remembers him carrying a gallon of water in each hand on some of our Arches hikes.)
5. Training the older children to do a few of the above with the younger kids (for instance, I remember Camie backpacked with one of the younger boys all through Carlsbad Caverns).
6. Bribery - Dad recently hiked Mt. Timpanogas with Brett, Jenae, Jerry, Justin, Adam, and our close family friends, Blake Bickmore and his dad. Adam made it to the saddle (near the top) and wasn't going to finish until Dad told him he would buy Adam the latest movie that he wanted.

Using one or all of these techniques, Dad got us to complete some pretty difficult hikes - for instance, he got all eight kids up Angel's Landing in Zion's. I remember at one point there were chains you held on to get up to the top. I am pretty sure Adam rode on Dad's shoulders for most of it.

You have to admire Dad's unconquerable spirit, to take us up this thing, with this warning.


Kindra, Justin, Dad and I.

I think Dad's love of hiking started when he was in his teenage years. Apparently he and his brother went hiking all over the Sierra Nevada. I feel fortunate that Dad was able to pass on this love of hiking to me and my siblings, and I have new appreciation for what it took to do all these hikes!

One of my favorite hikes with Dad was about a 7-miler along the Napali cliffs in Hawaii. It felt sort of like full-circle b/c only Camie and I did this one with Dad, sort of reminiscent of our Mt. Mitchell hike so long ago. I would love to give up one of my days now and just relive one of those days then!



The most unique hike we have ever been on? When we were in Hawaii and hiked out to where the lava was entering the ocean - still one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Camie was slow at first, because she was in pain from a sunburn, and Dad stayed behind with her while the rest of us (I believe it was Kindra, Jerry, Jenae, Justin, and I) trudged on ahead. But then Camie's pain medicine kicked in and I was shocked at how quickly they caught up. This hike was arduous, because there was no trail. We were hiking over cooled lava flow, and the footing was very uneven. At the end, I remember Dad telling us to cover our mouths with our shirts because the fumes were getting noxious (let's just say that this was not exactly a hike sanctioned by any local authorities). But it was incredibly worth it. I remember when we got home from this trip, I saw Dad throwing his shoes away - I asked him why, and he showed me the bottom where there was practically no tread at all. I realized mine were the same way and threw mine out as well.

Above: the type of terrain we were hiking on. Below: lava entering the ocean - you can barely see the red because of the steam.


I love this picture of my dad, the biking mission president! I think it captures his adventurous spirit perfectly.


Dad, your love, compassion, patience, spirit, support, and logic have been indispensable to me and I am so lucky and grateful that you are my dad. Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

Gemie said...

Ahhh...So sweet. I think he could not get a better Father's day gift than this trip down hiking memory lane.

Gemie said...

This is Dad. Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories. I hope there will still be many more. The greatest joy I have is to be married to your mother and to be father to the best eight children on the planet. I love each of you fiercely. You help give me purpose, enthusiasm for life. I love watching the wonder in your eyes when you discover each new adventure. Most of all, I am grateful for your love and goodness. Thank you Alyssa for your wonderful gift to me.

Amy said...

That was awesome, I have a tear in my eye!!

Joel and Sara said...

I love Bishop Martin!! Is he still doing the wallet game?!!:)