Monday, October 4, 2010

Marin

So the other day I had all the kids at Wal-Mart (I know, when will I learn?) and everything was going fine until Ryan scratched his ear and it started to bleed. Of course, this blood ended up on his finger. At some point, and I am not exactly clear on the details, Ryan must have done something to Marin with the bloody finger, because she developed a most unholy, unaccountable, indefinable fear of "Ryan's bloody finger." All I know is that she was suddenly crying bloody murder and freaking out about something. At first I wasn't sure what she was afraid of, so I put her down after I calmed her down. Then Ryan got near her and she ran a lap around the nearest aisle, running away from him, the whole time screaming about Ryan's bloody finger. I had to carry her the rest of the time (my arm was sore the next day - try pushing a cart and carrying a 35 pound child around for 15 minutes). I also felt a bit sorry for Ryan who felt like a pariah the rest of the evening - he couldn't even get near Marin to even show her that his finger was no longer bloody. For my siblings, do you remember how we used to freak Chris out by turning on the lawn mower? Same sort of thing.

Yesterday we had an ant in our kitchen, and I said to the kids, "Do any of you dare me to eat this ant?" Marin jumped up and said, "No, I will!" and she grabbed that sucker and popped him into her mouth. I didn't bother to fish him out - what was the point?

So in summary, don't get near Marin with a bloody finger, but she is just fine eating ants.

11 comments:

Amy said...

That is hilarious! Kids can be very quirky!!

Eric and Jenny said...

That kind of freaks me out eating an ant.

Would you have eaten it, had your kids dared you?

Alyssa said...

That is a really good question Jenny...Marin made it LOOK so easy...now we may never know.

Kara said...

HAHAHA I am laughing so hard right now about Marin eating that ant! haha that girl will eat anything! but my question is, would you have really eaten the ant if she hadn't beat ya to it?!

Also, remember that one time that she tripped and fell and scraped her knee at our place, and she kept saying "Marin's Blood! Marin's Blood!" poor dear!

Gemie said...

I'd laugh, but I'm a little worried. Pharaoh ants can carry salmonella. I think Ryan's bloody finger would be much safer to lick (but don't tell Marin).

Kindra said...

Okay..almost peed my pants! I just love that girlie of yours! I feel like this would make a great children's book story line.

Do you know what also got me laughing? Mom's comment. She is the best!

rozalyn said...

Oh, THANK YOU for the laugh. I really needed that today. Miss you guys!

Darlene Yates said...

LOL!!!! That is so funny! I love it when kids are freaked out by silly things, it is actually really funny to me. I know that it is a serious fear to them, but I can't help but laugh.

Christina said...

Hey! I decided to email you today and then realized I didn't have your email address. How did that happen!? Of course I'm not on Facebook, or I could just poke you, or whatever you Facebook people do :) Instead, I'm sending a request through your blog. How pathetic.

Send me an email message so I can then send you one :)

Joslin said...

This was too funny! I was in need of a good laugh today!

Corinda said...

That is hilarious. And I still think your attitude about bugs is so cool.