Sunday, August 16, 2009

We Go Camping!

This last weekend, the kids and I packed up our gear and headed to the Laurel River campgrounds, about 1.5 hours south of Lexington. I was shocked at how well our little expedition went - no problems with the tent, fire, or bears. I owe a lot of this to my dad, who was blessed with 4 girls before he got any sons - I remember many a camping trip with dad.

First things first, I set up the tent. Then we started in on the fire. Ryan helped.






Here is Marin. I opened the Cheetos right off, to distract her whilst setting up camp, and I have to say that most of the pictures of her are of her eating. For anyone that knows Marin, this is not surprising.

The tent.




Grimy already.

When it started to get dark, Marin would occasionally wander into the tent and lay down. It was a clear night, we could see right out to the stars and trees above.



I read James and the Giant Peach to the kids this summer. They LOVED it. Then I rented the movie. They love that too. Now I buy lots of peach things, and they eat them.
When we were getting ready to go to bed, Kate was a little unsure of things. She suggested we go home a time or two, but seemed to think that maybe it was worth staying for, since we would all be in the "same room." Also, when it got really dark, she was concerned about the noise - "momma, what is all that noise?" "well, Katelyn, it is about million cicadas serenading you to sleep." "Oh, ok." By morning, she was ok with the whole camping thing, and says she would do it again.

They really liked "hiking." I use quotation marks, because the hike was very short - but perfect for them! And Marin would run after them and shout, "wait for me! wait for me!" I can't believe how old Marin is getting.

Ryan being a nazi about the poison ivy... "NO! No Marin, no Kate, that is poison ivy" over and over.
Yes! We love to camp...notice the soot on his face!


Playing ring-around-the-rosie.

The kids and I found a grasshopper. This was especially exciting, because there is an old-green-grasshopper in James and the Giant Peach. Ryan loved that it stayed on his hand.


The next day we went swimming in the lake. The kids absolutely, 110% loved this - they were asking to do it again before we were even finished. We spent most of the day at the lake, then went home.






I was actually surprised at how well Kate did with the lake. She is usually the more difficult one at the pool. But at the lake, she got in the water more quickly than Marin even, and really enjoyed herself.


Ryan out in the water .


Our friends, the Carltons, showed up at the lake later and we all had a marvelous time. I have decided that lakes are more entertaining than pools for the kids, simply because of the sand factor, and I actually had the foresight to bring buckets and shovels. I really had a great time, and I feel so lucky to have three such wonderful children to share this experience with. It was excellent recreation. Thank-you Ryan, Katelyn, and Marin!

9 comments:

Mandy said...

This looks absolutely awesome! You make me want to go. What an adventurous and good mom!

mitzi fitz said...

Looks like a great time! I love how cute Marin looks even when she's grimy!

Deanna and Gary said...

What a brave mom...taking the kids camping by yourself, your awesome. Im thinking that I dont think I would have been so brave, way to go there camper! I will go with you when you move here I know tons of really good spots in American Fork Canyon we'll have a blast, get Donna and Michelle to come to maybe Tyler LaNell and their kids too!

Corinda said...

You're such a good mom! You're motivating me to get the effort to pack us up for some camping. I think I'm most impressed that you are not afraid to let your kids handle and be excited about bugs. I know there's nothing wrong with them, but I'm not sure my bugphobia will allow me to do that...I guess we'll see, right?

Allison said...

How fun! So great that you took them camping. It can be so much effort it doesn't seem worth it getting ready but it sure does make great memories.

Amy said...

we always mean to go camping in the summer, but somehow it never quite works out!

Jared & Esther said...

So fun!!! Was that really a grasshopper? It look more like a Katydid...but don't tell the kids :)

Alyssa said...

Yes, Esther, you are correct! I just googled katydid and it is. I will not tell the kids. ;-)

Sara said...

Wow! What a fun trip. I hope those three darling kids thanked their mom for being so adventurous!

(And, seriously, your kids are darling.)