Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ryan's Leprechaun Trap and Kid's Artwork

I was taking a nap at the kid's grandparent's house on Saturday after we went hiking, and when I woke up, this was on my head - courtesy of Katelyn. I love it - I think those are dresses on hangers?
Ryan did this at school, and I think it gives us all a glimpse at his personality - and no, I cannot get blogger to put the picture the correct way. It has Ryan's three wishes: I wish I had 10,000,000,000 pennies, I wish I had a real 1,000,000 dollar bill, and I wish I had my own donuts. Classic.
This is what happens when you give Ryan markers, glue, and 10 minutes to draw something:


On St. Patrick's Day, Ryan came home with this story about how they were trying to trap a leprechaun at school. The leprechaun kept leaving them notes, but the kids never saw him. They were looking for him outside during recess; when they came back in the leprechaun had left them a pot of candy gold on his teacher's desk. They also must have read some sort of story about how to trap a leprechaun, because Ryan made this when he got home:
On the top was some coinage to tempt the leprechaun. The bit of red is a pipe cleaner that the leprechaun will trip over and fall into hole. Ryan put candy in the hole for the leprechaun to eat.
Ryan put up the don't climb sign to tempt the leprechaun to climb up - apparently leprechauns do not heed signs. Ryan asked me if I believed in leprechauns - I told him no, but that that didn't mean he shouldn't. I told him kids can see magic creatures better than adults anyways.
We kept it up for several weeks, then Ryan looked in it one night and saw that all the candy was gone, so we figured the leprechaun got caught but then found some way to get out. Maybe next year, right Ryan?

3 comments:

Amy said...

How funny!! I love the drawings! And how lucky are you to live so close to Randy and Sue!! Looks like fun!

Gemie said...

What a clever kid. Tell Ryan we saw a huge rainbow yesterday when we were up in Palmdale. I wondered if there was a leprecan at each end. I thought of him.

Esther said...

The Leperchaun trap is brillant! I've read about some families who have a tradition of making traps for St. Patrick's day...after seeing Ryan's I might try to do that when Aurora is older.