Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter Sports

So I grew up in Texas (or briefly, other parts of the south). It more often iced than snowed, and if it did snow, never in the quantities that allowed for the type of play below. I have to admit that even though I do not like the cold aspect, I have really enjoyed playing with my kids in the snow. The following pictures are from an afternoon at my sister Jenae's house. Jenae texted me one afternoon when I was picking Ryan up from school (which is right by her house). This was the conversation:

Jenae: Ash wants to build a snowman. Who wants to help?
Me: We are not dressed for it :(
Jenae: Lame
Me: Fine we are coming

So we get our snow gear and send the kids outside - when I realize that I have to go out and help - Jenae pleaded the pregnancy. She proceeded to sit by the window with the camera and take pictures of me shoveling snow to manufacture a sledding hill for the kids. This was hard work. But totally worth it - I think it secured my favorite aunt/mom status for at least another week.



Yes, I tried it.
The best part was that when it was all over, Jenae informed me that the particular window seat she was sitting in was right over a heat vent. Priceless.

The kids and I have also been sledding a few other times - notably at Sugarhouse Park and Rock Canyon Park (in Provo). Ryan loves using the air disc, and the girls love just throwing themselves down the hill on their stomachs ("look mom, I'm a penguin").

4 comments:

Joel and Sara said...

Sounds like Jenae.Ha.

Jenae said...

yes, good times. And... I am offended Sara.

Gemie said...

I agree, it does sound like Jenae. She used to instigate fights between two other siblings just for the entertainment of it all. This was when she was quite young (like 5 or 6). But the good news is that even though Jenae did not participate in the snow fun, the rest of you had an obviously fun time!!! The other good news is that Spring is just around the corner (in Texas, Georgia, and California that is).

Esther said...

Oh the snow hill had to buy you at least favorite mom/aunt status for at least a week & half, right? So fun...you are the best sport.