Saturday, July 18, 2009

Random Things from Middle July...

Yesterday we went up to Louisville for the day - I got to go to the temple with my Relief Society group, and then the kids and I went to the zoo. Sadly, being a single parent with three kids means less pictures, and I sort of decided to just enjoy the experience rather than worry about documenting it. The kids had a blast at the zoo, although there was some definite whining going on. I think Ryan's favorite part was feeding a lorikeet. Marin loved the animals, but we especially got a good look at a tiger - all that was separating us from the tiger was glass! The kids were fascinated. Marin also liked the zebras and giraffes, both of which are "horsies" no matter what I say. I also have to say that Kate was very helpful with Marin - Kate kept holding Marin's hand and guiding her around. Ryan loved the tarantulas.

Speaking of Ryan loving the tarantulas...last night he called me to the back door because he "had to show me something" - it was cupped in his hands - he opened up his hands, and there it was - a spider about the size of a quarter (including its legs). I tried to get a picture, but it got away before I could and we couldn't catch it again. But I was proud of Ryan - no fear for him!

And in other pet news...Kate caught a fly (I think it was so close to death it couldn't fly anymore). She was so happy and loved that it crawled all over her hand and didn't fly away.



Ryan enjoying the easy life.

So the high today is 71. 71! It is mid-July! Ryan got a coat on to go play outside today (all on his own). And no, I am not pleased that it is 20 degrees colder than it should be. We can hardly go swimming without shivering. I think we need to start talking about the advent of the next ice age.

3 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

71 sounds kinda nice right now it was 99 here yesterday, I wanted to die. Sometimes I don't take pictures at events either, pictures are great but sometimes I feel like I am missing half the fun because I am always looking for the perfect shot.

Jared & Esther said...

My sister-in-law told me recently she has to choose between raising her 5 children or documenting her 5children. So yeah, pics are great but no pics at times are better.

Ummm...it's a natural instinct to be afraid of spiders...what are you teaching him?! :)

Jenae said...

If either of my children brought a spider to "show me," not only would I freak out- I don't think I would be able to touch their hand for a couple of weeks!