Friday, July 10, 2009

Warning: Running may cause nasty feet

Ok, so since this has become such a huge part of my life lately, I figured I should talk a little bit about it. My 3 sisters (Camie, Kindra, and Jenae) and I began a running competition on June 13th. The goal: have more miles than anyone else by Justin's (my brother) wedding. The prize: $80, but also I suspect the main motivation for all of us: bragging rights. So can I just say in UNDER a month, a few of us have run more than 80 miles. It has been insane. I only ran 4.5 miles the first week, so in less than 3 weeks, I have run more than 75 miles. This has not been without consequence - observe the following:


Yes, my poor elephantine toes. It also looks worse because I had my first date since the divorce last Saturday and wanted to wear sandals, so I drained all my blisters (yes, sterile needle, cotton puff, neosporin) which left some dead skin and then they REFORMED under that dead skin on my next long run. I am leaving them alone now until they callus over, unless by some miracle I go on another date before Justin's wedding. Oddly enough, they don't hurt very much (although as Camie would say, pain is weakness leaving the body).

Lastly, I apologize to anyone who is grossed out by my feet. But my philosophy on feet has always been they are there to serve us, not to look pretty. For instance, if it hurts your feet to be outside barefoot, then you continue to go barefoot until it stops hurting - toughen them up. Am I right? That is the Texan in me coming out - although I daresay it fits pretty well here in Kentucky as well.

2 comments:

Amy said...

you are hilarious! thank you for showing us your nasty feet!!

malleygirl said...

I am so proud of the beautiful blisters on your toes! It means you've been working hard! You go girl!