Monday, December 21, 2009

Packing Odds and Ends...


Kindra and Luke (above); Ashlin and Rachel (below)

So I am packing everything up and I ran across a sticky note to myself about two stories to blog about from Justin's wedding. I want to throw the sticky note away instead of pack it, so here are the stories:

Justin (my little brother) got married this summer and I flew out for his wedding. The wedding itself was a wonderful experience, and I already love my new sister Kara. They were married in the Los Angeles temple (mainly so that my father could attend). Afterwards, we had a brunch at my parent's home in Santa Clarita. Here is where funny story number 1 occurred:

Ashlin (4) and Rachel (2) were really cute flower girls - their hair was all done up and they were so cute in their dresses. My parents have a jacuzzi in the backyard, and my sister Jenae felt like Ashlin and Rachel were getting too close to it, so she told them to move away from it. At this point, I told the girls I would go over with them to the "pond" and make sure they wouldn't fall in. I also told Jenae that I would take full responsibility of her kids - famous last words, let me tell you. Anyways, we were sticking our feet in when Ashlin got up and was walking the edge of the jacuzzi when she fell completely in. I will never forget that moment. I grabbed her right away, but she was of course completely soaked. Hilarious, and Jenae now has something to say "I told you so" about for the rest of my life.

Kindra was also there with my nephew Luke (1 at the time). He completely clung to Kindra the whole time. Once, I just put out my finger and he grabbed it and held on for awhile. I knew he thought I was Kindra, so I didn't say anything or look at him. We got to where we were walking to and Kindra said something, at which point Luke looked at her, then looked at his hand, then at me. He flung my hand away, and we could all tell he was thinking "imposter!" I have to say though, when I went to Kindra and Neil's for Thanksgiving, Brooklyn, Bailey, and Luke all warmed up to me right away.

I loved getting to spend time with all my neices and nephews (I saw all of them as I stayed with Camie and Spencer in California this summer, and even saw Thomas, Abby, and Molly Christensen last Christmas). I think right now it is safe for me to say that I am definitely the favorite aunt.

and always will be

4 comments:

Jenae said...

Hilarious!! I was laughing so hard, and yes, I did "tell you so".

No, Jenae is the favorite aunt because she would never let any of her nieces or nephews fall into a pool!!!!!!!

Gemie said...

I would have loved to witness the falling in the jacuzzi. What a fun story. I think I was in the running for favorite aunt until my siblings and parents went camping with all our children and grandchildren. Aunt Gemie was not a fun camper. Oh well.

Alyssa said...

Oh, Jenae, don't you see, that is precisely why you are not the favorite aunt...little kids WANT to fall into water - so what if Ashlin was crying after she fell because she was freezing - deep down, she was secretly deeply satisfied on some level. And mom, it is never too late to try to be the favorite aunt! Remember Great-Aunt Marty? She was one cool aunt, and taught me everything I know about playing cards.

Amy said...

Love the stories! I wish I could have been there to see that, too!! You are a great Aunt!!!