Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Great 7 State Trek

On Dec. 28th, the kids and I left Lexington, KY. I think it would be best to make a bullet list of what happened on the trip:

Day 1:
  • Car dies (I left the lights on too much whilst loading it up apparently). Battery checks out, we leave for Louisville to pick up my brother Jerry, who incidentally is the reason I am still sane today.
  • I take the wrong way to Louisville, and almost end up in Cincinnati (on my 4.5 years of driving to Louisville, this is the FIRST time I have done this).
  • We pick up Jerry and head towards Chicago. We stay the night somewhere in Indiana.
  • Kate is excited about her new "home" (the motel 6 room) - but wonders where I am going to cook.
Day 2:
  • We make it to Chicago about 10, but drive around for awhile b/c of various highway closings (luckily Jerry brought his GPS). About 10:30 we arrive at the Sears Tower (or Willis Tower). This will be a separate post - let's just say Ryan was in tallest buildings of the world heaven - he loved it.
  • We stop in Omaha, Nebraska for the night. The funny story about this leg of the trip? Kate had been complaining for about the hour before about how she wanted a bed to sleep in, 5 minutes before we got to the hotel, she fell asleep. Hilarious. Her best quote? "I want you to find me another home - the one with the 1-1-5 on it." Jerry and I looked at each other confused, until we realized that last night we had stayed in room number 115!
  • We get into the hotel room and Ryan starts practicing his parkour by jumping from chair to bed to bed, etc. Then he looks at me and says, "Mama, today was my lucky day!" Those are the moments parents live for!
Day 3:
  • We hit some inclement weather in Nebraska, and I blow a tire. Not sure why. We spend a couple of hours in Milford, NE (note to self: check this off my list of things I want to accomplish in my life).
  • We drive around town until we find a place that can sell us a new tire. Ryan still thinks it is another lucky day, because the town is right by some train tracks, and he sees 4 BNSF trains.
  • We go to Subway - the kids get the Subway kids meal toy for free and some free cookies. Yesterday they got a free toy at Burger King. I guess people in Iowa and Nebraska are suckers for cute kids on cross country road trips.
  • We spend FOREVER in Nebraska. Then we drive through Wyoming and arrive at Jenae's place at about 1:30 am. We made it!
Jerry, I owe you big time for this trip - thanks for the support! And thanks to all my siblings and parents for all the support you have given me for this move! The kids did awesome this morning. Jenae and I were pretty surprised at how easily all the kids were getting along. And now I will go knock on some wood.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds like all went well overall! I am glad you made it in one piece! I hope that you have all that you need in your new life!

Mandy said...

Gald you made it! Your kids are great! Ryan is quite the optimist!

Camie said...

Alyssa, you and your kids crack me up! I loved your humorous description of your trip. I was so worried that your vehicle wouldn't make it, but I am so glad that you are safe and sound in Utah. 2010 is going to be an awesome year for you!

Christina said...

Yeah! Good to see you made it alive and somewhat sane. We miss you already. Sigh. I agree that 2010 is going to be a good year for you. I feel it in my bones.

Anonymous said...

Oh, for heavens sake. What a road trip!
Erik and I just got home and am going to call you after kids are in bed - but reading over your post, I feel like I was there!!! We prayed every stinking day that you would be safe and the can would hold out - - - so with any luck, some of our faith kept that van from completely coming apart??? Who knows - - I already miss you like crazy.

Eric and Jenny said...

I am glad you made it okay and you had your brother with you, I can't imagine making that alone with three kids, you are amazing! Now good luck getting all settled.

Sara said...

Phew! Congrats on making it alive. I have yet to drive cross country -- after flying from Indy to Utah for 6 years now.

Good luck in 2010!

Gemie said...

I echo all the sentiments expressed above! Thanks to everyone who was praying along with us. I am sure angels were accompanying you in that little blue van. Leave it to you Alyssa to make a seven state move into an adventure for your kids!

The Spanglers said...

You came through Omaha & didn't stay with us? Glad you are safe and sane.
Keri

Charlie said...

Jerry is the man. Glad y'all made it safe to Utah. Peace

rozalyn said...

love you alyssa! what's a cross country road trip in the middle of winter w/out some adventures? SO glad you made it safe and that it was a great trip for ryan. ; ) MISS YOU!